What is Safeguarding?
Safeguarding is the action that is taken to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm.
- To protect children from being maltreated.
- To prevent a child facing impairment of their development or physical or mental
- To make sure that children are given care in their childhood that’s safe and effective.
- To take action to ensure children get the best possible outcomes and life chances.
Safeguarding children and child protection guidance and legislation applies to all children up to the age of 18.
What is Child Protection?
Child Protection is part of safeguarding and promoting welfare. It refers to the activity that is undertaken to protect specific children who are suffering, or are likely to suffer, significant harm.
The school pays full regard to DfE guidance ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ September 2022. We ensure that all appropriate measures are applied in relation to everyone who works in the school who is likely to be perceived by the children as a safe and trustworthy adult including e.g. volunteers and staff employed by contractors. Safer recruitment practice includes scrutinising applicants, verifying identity and academic or vocational qualifications, obtaining professional and character references, checking previous employment history and ensuring that a candidate has the health and physical capacity for the job. It also includes undertaking interviews and, where appropriate, ISA and Disclosure Barring Service checks.
|Orchard School||Southwold School||Hoxton Garden School|
|Nominated Safeguarding Officer:|
|Mr Stephen O’Brien
|Ms Rachael Carr
|Ms Rachel Adams
|Other senior safeguarding leads who can also be contacted:|
|Ms Maxine Cutforth||Ms Linda Hanley||Ms Charlotte Houchin|
|Ms Felicity Headen||Ms Ruth Grover||Ms Jessie De Veer|
|Other contacts in relation to concerns including any concerns over those named above:|
|Ms Rachel Davie (Executive Headteacher)|
|James Gowland (Chair of Governors)|
- Keeping Children Safe in Education (KSCIE) Statutory Guidance 2023 – 2024
- (Orchard) Safeguarding Policy Sept 2023
- (Southwold) Safeguarding Policy Sept 2023
- (Hoxton Garden) Safeguarding Policy Sept 2023